Blisters from burns that you get when cooking occur for different reasons than blisters on your foot when out walking. BUT- once you have a blister the treatment required is exactly the same.

It’s Christmas week, a Christmas during a pandemic means lots more people will be cooking. Family gatherings are limited so you may now be cooking rather than being cooked for. For those of you who traditionally treat yourself to the big lunch out at a pub or hotel, those plans may have changed too. The all-important feast will now be managed by many first timers. Don’t panic though- it’s just a roast dinner with a few extras.

Our top tip is to keep it simple- only cook the foods that your family members really like.

All this extra cooking does increase the chances of the odd burn/scalding especially when you are rushing.

Our main advice for cooking burns is to run the area under cool water for 15 minutes. Tricky to do in the midst of serving up but please prioritise you- this is time to shout for a helper to come and take over. For more detailed burn advice, follow NHS guidance.

After a few hours you will be able to assess the damage; now it’s time to work out which type of blister you are left with. Bubble, roof torn or roof off blister. It’s vital so judge which one you have as the type of blister requires different treatments.

Bubble Blister

A fluid-filled bubble on the skin. For our treatment advice click here.

Roof Torn Blister

It has progressed from the intact and the roof or the top of the blister has a tear and the fluid has leaked out. For our treatment advice, click here.

Roof Off Blister

when the skin has come off and you can see the new skin underneath. For our treatment advice, click here.

We really hope you don’t suffer any injuries or burns over your festive break, but if you do, make sure you care for them properly. It you do not care for a blister properly it could get infected and a trip to A&E at Christmas also isn’t fun.

Have a fantastic Christmas and stay safe.

Similar Posts